What is Oral Mucocele?
Oral Mucocele is a cyst formed due to collection of salivary gland secretion.
It is pearly translucent occasionally with bluish discoloration usually measuring from 1-8mm in diameter. The deeper cysts may appear as a nodule and may not have translucent pearly appearance as in superficial cyst.
It appears on lower lip on sides.
When it appears on floor of mouth below tongue its termed as ranulla.
They are painless most of the time.
It usually lasts for few days to years.
It may frequently rupture and reappear again at same site.
It may also cause ulcerations.
Oral Mucocele results from
- Ruptured Salivary Gland Duct this results into mucous extravasation phenomenon.
- Obstructed Salivary Gland Duct this results into mucous retention cyst.
Rupture or Obstruction can be due to
- Infection that can potentially obstruct or damage the salivary gland and its duct. which can be due to many factors most common being poor oral and dental hygiene.
- Injury on lower lip which can damage salivary gland duct may result innto oral mucocele tje most common form of injury is due to bitting lips by one own teeth.
- Tumours that may obliterate obstruct or rupture or damage salivary glands and its ducts in any form may result in to mucocele in oral mucosa
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR ORAL MUCOCELE
The underlying cause needs to be evaluated, exclude the probability of infection, malignancy. Patient needs to be guided for proper oral hyegiene, any habbit like bitting teeth should be avoided.
Following are the common Homeopathic medicines used in treatment of Oral Mucocele
- Calcarea flourica
- Mercurious Solubilis
- Antimonium Tartaricum
- Antimonium Crudum
- Apis Mellifica
- Ranunculus bulbosus
Selection from the above medicines should be strictly done as per symptom similarity basis under consultation of homeopathic practitioner.