Lichen Planus (LP) is believed to be autoimmune condition with an unknown causative and triggering factor. It presents itself with skin lesions characterize by 6 P’s i.e. Planar [flat topped], Purple, Polygonal, Pruritic, Papules and Plaques;
Although it may present itself with variety of other lesions as well.
The Lesions typically shows interspersed lacy white lines which are called Wicham’s Striae
It can affect anywhere on Skin Nails and Mucous membranes of any region.
The lesion may show any of the following pattern Annular, Linear, Hypertrophic, Atrophic, Bullous, Ulcerative, Pigmented.
What are the causes?
It is non contagious condition and is not related to any known pathogen; it is believed to be T-cell driven autoimmune reaction which triggers apoptosis of the epithelial cells; It is believed that this process is in response to some unidentified antigenic change in oral mucosa
What is Lichenified Reaction?
There are certain conditions where the skin lesions shows similarity with Lichen Planus lesions , in both clinical appearance to naked eye as well as histopathology under microscope but unlike Lichen Planus there are known underlying causative factors such conditions are termed lichenfied reactions.
Few examples which may cause Lichenified Reaction
- In certatin drug reactions esp. due to beta blockers quinine thiazide diuretics furosemide spironolactone metformin and penicillin
- Reactions to metal alloy fillings
- Graft Versus-Host disease typically presents with chronic lichenified skin lesions on palms soles upper trunk and face after several months
- Hepatitis ; esp due to Hepatitis B virus infection ; Hepatitis C virus infection ; primary biliary cirrhosis
- stress and lifestyle as major impact on lichen planus it may trigger erruptions
- lichen planus may be an accompanying symptom of Grinspan’s Syndrome
LP can be diagnosed clinically with brief history and character of skin lesions characterize by 6 P’s i.e. Planar [flat topped], Purple, Polygonal, Pruritic, Papules and Plaques; it typically has Lichen-like appearance; always Biopsy is Gold Standard to establish diagnosis.
HOMEOPATHIC Treatment Approach and Homeopathic Medicines for Lichen Planus.
Can LP be Cured?
Allopathy System has no cure the condition it can only relieve symptoms temporarily and does have side effects
Homeopathy is known system of medicines which can cure lichen planus without having any side effects
Few of the common homeopathic Medicines for Lichen Planus