Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2
Novel Coronavirus also known as 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2. It is commonly known as Wuhan Coronavirus or Wuhan Sea Food Market Pneumonia Virus is an enveloped positive sense, single strand, RNA Coronavirus with a neucleocapsid of helical symetry which can infect and spread through human to human transmission causing flu like illness officially termed by WHO as Covid-19 where “Co” represents CORONA, “vi”represents virus, “d” stands for disease and “19” stands for year of first outbreak 2019.
2019 novel Coronavirus Classification
Novel Coronavirus belongs to
- Realm -Riboviria
- Phylum -Incertia Sedis
- Order -Nidoviralis
- Family -Coronaviridae
- Genus -Beta Corona virus
- Sub Genus -Serbecovirus,
- Virus -2019nCoV or SARS-CoV-2
Wuhan Coronavirus Disease Covid-19 Epidemic
The first outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus or 2019nCoV in humans was confirmed and notified to WHO by China on 31/12/2019, when patients from Wuhan province of China were suffering with virus related non specific flu like illness from around 8/12/2019 then later the genome was sequenced to confirm this absolutely new and novel strain of coronavirus 2019-nCoV or SARS-CoV-2
Within no time, the coronavirus outbreak that first started from Wuhan in China has now reached more than 66 countries India, Thailand, Japan, South Korea, Italy, Iran, Germany,Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, USA, Vietnam, Singapore etc. claiming more than 3100+ deaths of estimated 91,000+ infected as on 4/3/2020 .The death toll is constantly rising and almost high of 200+ deaths have been reported in a single day. Almost 36000+ cases have recovered till date. It will take some time to estimate mortality rate but it seems to be around 2%. Old people and people with other pre-existing disease condition are at higher risk of succumbing to death.
Outbreak of this particular strain of coronavirus is for the first time, So its new for human immune system. As the time lapses the affected community will start developing certain immunity against it which will slow down the progress of transmission and epidemic as time lapses. Also with time and better understanding of virus and its epidemic, the health authorities will be more efficient in containing the disease and its epidemic.
There is a split between science community where in a group suggests that it has originated from snake where as other claims that snake cannot be the probable the reservoir and is probably from mammal reservoir mostly the bats as the genome sequencing shows 96% resemblance of bat coronavirus and 2019-nCoV.
It is postulated that homologous recombination of Clad A bat viruses “CoVZC45 and CoVZXC21” with some unknown Beta-CoV may have formed 2019nCoV
Human to human transmission of novel coronavirus is confirmed, Most of the initial cases were from Huanan Seafood Market so Epizootic Origin is suspected.
Coronavirus strands that affect humans
Coronaviruses infects mammals and birds there are total 7 known strands that infect humans including 2019nCoV, first 2 strands were detected in 1960’s
- Human coronavirus 229E (HCoV-229E)
- Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43)
- Human coronavirus NL63 (HCoV-NL63, New Haven coronavirus)
- Human coronavirus HKU1
- Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), previously known as novel coronavirus 2012 and HCoV-EMC.
- Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) also known as Wuhan pneumonia or Wuhan coronavirus.
Signs and Symptoms of Novel Coronavirus Disease Covid-19
It shows symptoms that of severe respiratory tract infection giving rise to pneumonia with some gastrointestinal symptoms like other coronavirus infection, Its symptoms are much related to 2003 SARS Epidemic caused due to SARS-CoV.
Window period of 2019-nCoV virus ranges between 2-14days. It takes 2-14 days for symptoms to appear post exposure to virus. Note the patient of 2019 nCoV (Covid-19) can spread infection to others even during this window period l, that is, even before any symptoms starts appearing after first inoculation of 2019-nCoV into body or even any test to decisively test positive.
- Almost 90% cases of 2019-nCoV(Covid-19) infection presents with Fever
- Dry Coughing
- General Weakness
- Of which 20% will develop shortness of breath after 3-5days of initial general symptoms.
- Almost 15% of all the the cases will go into respiratory distress within a day or two of developing shortness of breath.
- Few patients go into shock and may develop cardiac arythmias.
- Of all the cases less than 5-10%(approx) will die due to complications, mostly those who are elderly children or have other prevailing disease condition like diabetes, cardiac diseases, cancer etc.
- X ray shows bilateral Lungs involvement with Ground Glass Opacities.
- Leucopenia -Low WBC count especially lymphocytes – lymphopenia.
PREVENTION OF CORONAVIRUS INFECTION DURING TIMES OF EPIDEMIC
2019-nCoV also called SARS-CoV-2 is a highly contagious virus. The virus can spread even through casual contacts and proximity.
Current studies suggests that virus can survive on surfaces like glass, plastic, metals etc for may be up to 9days and in fecal material for may be upto weeks of which studies are still going on for confirmation.
It has spread to infect more than 60,000 person within a very short span within just 6 weeks since its outbreak. Time and again most of the types of Coronavirus have proven themselves to have potential to create global pandemic claiming many lives within no time. Looking at this potential of the disease epidemic, the Govt. Of China has shut down and almost completely isolated and confined whole metrocities with reported outbreak of 2019 novel corona virus also called SARS-CoV-2.
- Keep distance from infected person.
- Avoid Traveling to area affected with 2019-nCoV epidemic
- Quatrantine patients traveling from Covid-19 epidemic regions.
- Avoid contact with person known to have came in contact with any person infected with 2019-nCoV or travel history from affected area.
- Report any case of cough, cold, fever or symptoms of flu to health authorities found in all the regions where cases of SARS-CoV-2 also called 2019-nCoV is prevailing.
- Person staying in affected regions should stay within their home and avoid any public places as much as possible.
- While moving out in affected region, wear removable and easily washable overcoats, wear disposable gloves, protective eye wears.
- Avoid touching with bare hands to public handle, buttons, walls curtains and other objects in public places in affected region
- When in public place, try to prefer option with open air and lesser crowd then in enclosed public premises.
- Avoid public transport unless unavoidable.
- Stay away from stray animals.
- Stay away from sewage channels and fecal material.
- Avoid raw food, prefer food prepared at home that too fully cooked.
- Avoid gathering and meeting people during times of epidemic.
- Avoid hand shakes and close proximity with other people during epidemic.
- Maintain healthy lifestyle and nutrition.
- Keep all rooms highly ventilated.
- Sanitize your hands frequently, wash hands at least for 20seconds.
- People with long hairs should keep hair in such a way that it doesn’t come in contact with potentially infected objects in public places e.g. handle on seat back on buses and trains.
- Eat nutritious food, daily yoga and exercise sufficient exposure to sunlight, timely meal sleep and exercise helps boost health and immunity to prevent and fight the disease.
- When and how to use mask correctly is explained and demonstrated in the video below by WHO
Homeopathic Medicines Indicated For Covid-19 Novel Coronavirus Infection
As per my view other than basic symptomatic supportive treatment and available regular conventional allopathic treatment, homeopathic medicines can be used in conjunction, as per indication under guidance and observation of both qualified homeopathic physician and allopathic physician.
Few of the Homeopathic medicines that can be useful in treatment of SARS-CoV-2 infection also called 2019 novel coronavirus infection are listed below.
- ACONITUM NEPELLUS
- ARSENICUM ALBUM
- HEPAR SULPH
- ASPIDOSPERMA QUEBRACHO
- BLATTA ORIENTALIS
- ARALIA RACEMOSA
- BORRHEAVIA DIFFUSA
- OCCIMUM SANCTUM
- FERRUM PHOSPHORICUM
- KALIUM SULPHURICUM
- KALIUM MURIATICUM
- ANTIMONIUM TARTARICUM
- DROSERA ROTUNDIFOLIA
- SPONGIA TOSTA
- EUPATORIUM PERFOLIATUM