Neurofibromatosis is syndrome of Phakomatosis or Neuro-Occulo-Cutaneous type of Autosomal Dominant Genetic Anomaly which can be hereditary germline change or acquired during early development stage affecting structures of embryonic ectoderm, where in, there is mutation or rarely somatic mosaicsism(RASopathy) of NF1 gene or its alleles present on Chromosome 17 and is responsible for synthesis of protein neurofibromin which regulates cell proloferation and differentiation which hampers tumour suppressor activity giving rise to tumours of nervous system.
TYPES OF NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
NEUROFIBROMATOSIS TYPE 1.
It is considered to be syndrome falling under category RASopathies. It affects supporting structures of Peripheral Nervous System. This type rarely show any severe complication other than cosmetic and compression complaints.
NEUROFIBROMATOSIS TYPE 2.
Involves Schwaan cell of Cranial nerves especially of Vestibulocochlear nerve that is 8th cranial nerve or CN VIII causing bilateral acoustic Schwannoma causing hearing loss. it shows many complications of cranial nerves and brain stem. it can be disabling and life threatening, severeity varies in different imdividual depending on the way in which that the disease assumes its course in different individual.
In this type Schwann cell tumours are found in Peripheral and Spinal nerves. It can be very painful and disabling.
SYMPTOMS OF NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
- Multiple upto six or more “cafe au lait” spots which are also present in Mc Cune Albright Syndrome.
- More than one overgrowths in iris of eye.
- More than one Neurofibroma.
- Spinal growth and curvature anomalies.
- During early stages of development in children it may show Learning and Behavioral problems
DIAGNOSIS OF NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
- HISTOLOGY helps to confirm neurofibroma
- SLIT-LAMP TEST
- GENETIC TESTING helps confirm neurofibromatosis
- EEG, MRI, CT SCAN AND MRI helps us to assess tumour and its influence on surrounding tissue.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR NEUROFIBROMATOSIS
- CONIUM MACULATUM
- CALCAREA FLOURICA
- CALCAREA CARBONICA
- GELSEMIUM SEMPERVIRENS