Septic Arthritis is invasion of joint by micro-organisms causing inflamation, it is also called infection of joint or Arthritis due to infection or infective arthritis.
Septic Arthritis can be caused due to infection of any of the following vectors
Most Common Organisms Known to Cause Septic Arthritis.
- Staphylococci – Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Auris(MRSA)
- Escherichia Coli
- Pseudomona Aeruginosa
- Neisseria Gonorrhoeae
- Neisseria Meningitidis
- Myocbacterium Tuberculosis
- Salmonella spp.
- Brucella spp.
- Eikenella Corodens
- Pasteurella Multocida
- Borrelia Burgdorferi
- Rubella virus
- Parvovirus B19
- Chickungunya virus
Usually its not common to get joint infection unless the immunity of a person is weak or there is history of surgery, prosthesis, deep tissue infections etc.
- Joint Surgery
- Prosthetic implants
- Immuno-suppressive Medication
- Intravenous drug users
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Arthritis due to Gout
- Infective Endocarditis
- Deep and /or nonhealing wounds
- Other deep tissue infections
- Other causes of septicemia
- Old age
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEPTIC ARTHRITIS
- Usually single joint is infected, less frequently more than one joints are involved.
- Most commonly involved joint is knee joint and other freqently involved joints are hip, spine, shoulder, wrist, elbow, sacroilliac and sternoclavicular joints.
- Sudden onset of symptoms, fast progression of disease.
- Swelling, redness with increased local Heat and pain around joint. Swelling and redness is comparatively much more than other types of arthritis.
- Fever with or without chills and headache.
- Cant move joint due to severe pain.
- Pain aggravated in slightest motion or jarring, pain is ususally aching type with stitching, stinging and pulsating.
DIAGNOSIS OF SEPTIC ARTHRITIS
- Athrocentesis – microorganisms usually found on culture, WBC count above 50,000-1,00,000/cubic mm, neutrophils more than 90%, lactate count more than 10mmol/l.
- CBC – increased wbc
- Blood culture positive for micro-organism
- ESR – elevated
- CRP – elevated
- Procalcitonin – elevated
- NAAT – to rule out gonorehoea
- Ultrasound – joint effusion
- CT scan – Region involved type and extent of damage
- MRI – Region involved type and extent of damage
HOMOEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR SEPTIC ARTHRITIS
Septic Arthritis is a medical emergeny case and requires immediate medical intervention, any delay in treatment can cause damage and complete destruction of joint with in hours to days.
Acute fast acting Homeopathic Medicines are selected with special affinity to joints and pathogenesis that of sudden, severe, acute inflamation with much swelling redness. Below is the list of indicated homeopathic medicines that I prefer in case of infective arthritis.
- APIS MELIFICA
- LEDUM PALUSTURE
- RHUS TOXICODENDRON
- BRYONIA ALBA
- ACONITUM NEPELLUS