TRIGGER FINGER or TRIGGER THUMB is a condition where in joints of one or more of the digits(finger/thumb) gets stucked up/locked up at certain postion which is difficult to move and moving it with force may cause popping or clicking sound with pain.
Though it can present in any sex and at any age, it is more commonly found in females around age of 50-60 yrs.
CAUSES OF TRIGGER FINGER/THUMB
Its is also termed as digital Stenosing Tenosynovitis, although there is no predominant inflamation to Tendosynovium but inflamation is found in Tendon Sheath. And also its not comfirmed that inflamatory process has any primary role in its development
Though exact cause behind trigger finger/thumb is not known but the risk factors that tend to increase the incidence of this condition are identified
- Over straining and over use of hand and fingers espescially activities involving prolonged forceful flexion of digits(fingers/thumb) may be occupational or habbitual routine activities.
- Frequent injuries – occupational, accidental or even injuries of planned surgery of hand especially ofter surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome
- Systemic connective tissue disorders
- Autoimmune diseases especially Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Renal Disease
- DeQuervain’s Diseases
- Diabetes Mellitus and Other Metabolic disorders.
SYMPTOMS OF TRIGGER FINGER/THUMB
- Though it may involve any digit(thumb/finger) Index finger and Thumb are more frequently involved. One or more digits may be involved.
- Patient presents with stucked up digit at certain position. It may be at any level from flexed to extended position usually found at semiflexed position.
- This locking up may be persistent for a prolonged period of time or may be momentary and recurrent.
- Aggravations are more commonly experienced at night, especially while holding heavy article with hand or while gripping or applying pressure with fingers or hand.
- On moving and or forcefully unlocking the stucked finger is bit painful and causes clicking and popping sound
- In severe cases the finger may be persistently locked for prolonged period of time with constant pain which may also extent to whole hand and wrist.
DIAGNOSIS OF TRIGGER FINGER/THUMB
Diagnosis of trigger finger/thumb is based on clinical symptomatology of the patient where in inflamation or involvement of tendon sheath of flexors is confirmed and excluding probability of other condition like
- Sprain of digit
- Osteoarthritis of metacarpo-phalangeal joint
- Tendon Entrapment post-trauma
- Extensor Apparatus Injury
- Game Keeper’s Thumb
- Sesamoid anomaly
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Focal Dystonia
An injection of lidnocaine in tendon sheath of flexors reduced the pain then it confirms diagnosis Trigger Finger/thumb.
HOMEOPATHIC TREATMENT FOR TRIGGER THUMB
Treatment of trigger finger/thumb is dependent on combination of modalities of physiotherapy,
splinting and medication.
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR TRIGGER THUMB/FINGER
- CALCAREA FLOURICA
- RHUS TOXICODENDRON
- ACTEA SPICATA
- THUJA OCCIDENTALIS
- AGARICUS MUSCARIOUS
- ARNICA MONTANA
- BRYONIA ALBA
- CIMICIFUGA RACEMOSA