Headache is a common term generally used when there is pain in any portion of the Head.
It can be classified into Primary or Secondary
1) Primary are not caused due to any major underlying pathology or structural anomaly. They do not pose a major threat except that it deteriorates quality of life by affecting day to day routine, professional and family life due to pain. Few primary headache types are mentioned below
- Migraine pulsating throbbing pain, with phonophobia and photophobia.
- Primary Tension Headache usually presents with band-like pain.
- Primary Stabbing headache stabbing piercing type as if nails are pierced in cranium
- Primary Exertion Headache precipitated by strenous work and exertion lasts for 5-30minutes
- Primary Sex Headache believed to be due to low intracranial flow of blood, starts during sex and peaks out at orgams. Lasts for few minutes, it can be serious in such cases if its due to subarachnoid heamorrhage and proper treatment is required as soon as possible.
- Hypnic Headache small episodes of headache lasting for 15-30minutes only during sleep.
- Trigeminal Neuralgia presents with shooting thread-like pain on face.
- Cluster headaches frequent small episodes of headache with congestion of nasal mucosa and conjunctiva causing redness eye and is usually one sided
- Hemicrania Continua one sided constant pain with intermittent small episodes of severe pain.
- Primary Cough Headache believed to be due to increased intracranial pressure and flow of blood , lasts for few minutes, if it lasts longer pt need intracranial evaluation for any pressure induced damage.
2) Secondary accounts only 10-20% of all cases. It is caused due to underlying pathological conditions or structural anomaly like:
- Gastric Disturbances
- Brain Tumours,
- Cervical Spondylosis,
- Arteriovenous Malformations,
- Ruptured Aneurysms,
- Intracranial Heamorrhages,
- Post Epileptic,
- Closed Angle Glaucoma,
- Temporal Arteritis.
Most of the Secondary type are dangerous and need to be treated for underlying cause first, as soon as possible.
10 Best Homoeopathic Medicines for Headache:
- Belladonna for throbbing fullness and pulsating pain in head with hot head, Pain in head typically involving forehead, occiput, temples, compaints more on right side compared to left side, pain in head aggravates on lying down, bright light, loud sound, after hair-cut, suppressed cold, pain in head with congestion of respiratory mucosa and conjunctiva, patient bores head into pillow and keeps moaning due to severe pain in head, pain in head with vertigo on rising up.
- Natrum Muriaticum hammering, blinding pain in head with severe throbbing aggravation in morning on rising till sunset, relieved during sleep, pain in head during menstrual bleeding phase, headache in school going girls due to heat of sun aggravated in afternoon and stays only during day time , also indicated in pain in head due to Sun stroke and anaemia, pain in head due to ill effects of prolonged excessive intake of salt, pain head relieved after vomitting, myalgia paraesthesia of lips tongue and nose during headache.
- Iris Versicolor visual disturbance preceeds and accompanies with headache, especially blurred vision, pain in jead typically on forehead and temples and right side affected more compared to left side, aggravation on mental stress and disturbances in meal pattern and time, aggravation on hyperacidity and mental strain.
- Glonoine pain in head due to heat of sun or due to heat of fire, headache of nervous origin, brain fag, strain, pain in head due to congestion and hyperaemia of brain ending up with violent epileptic attack, throbbing and pulsating pain in head as if blood is rushing towards head and heart. patient has great confussion lassitude and dizziness. headache due to Heat stroke or Sun Stroke
- Opium – Papaver Somniferum – dried latex of the poppy. Bursting pain in head with sensation as if some heavy weight has been olaced on head, pain in head with depression drowsiness, stupor, torpor, general sluggishness followed by stupid sleep.
- Gelsemium Sempervirens pain in head with dullness, dizziness, drowsiness and trembling, pain in head in patient with motor paralysis, headache with weak feeble pulse and slow circulation, aggravation of headache on high altitudes heat of sun, sun stroke, band-like pain in head, sensation as if a tight band is tied around the head. Pain extends from temples to ear to nose and chin forwards and downwards, mild relief on lifting the head a bit and placing it on a high pillow, patient falls asleep due to pain in head and is in delirious condition during sleep.
- Ruta Graveolens a very good remedy for excess of intoxication drinks causing hang-over headache, Pain as if nail is driven into the cranium.
- Actea Racemosa / Cimicifuga Racemosa , it shows a typical type of pain in head, patient has a waving sensation as if something is opening and shutting down in brain, head aches due to stress anxiety apprehension , pain in head as concomittent in women with uterine affections
- Allium Cepa Shooting – Threadlike neuralgic pain in head, head aches due to catarrhal conditions(cold), chronic headache in women relieves during menstrual flow resumes soon afterwards, mostly rt sided, good remedy in trigeminal neuralgia.
- Eupatorium Perfoliatum sensation as if cap of lead is being pressed over whole skull causing severe throbbing pain in head, pain in veryex and occiputal region due to cervical spondylosis , pain accompanying vertigo , paining sensation in head with pain in and around eyeball.