Parkinsonism is a disorder characterised by tremors, twitching, trembling, bradykinesia, stiffness and rigidity causing gait and postural imbalances. It is present in many disease conditions especially in Parkinson’s Disease from which it derives its name.
CAUSES OF PARKINSONISM
- Neurodegenerative Diseases Parkinson Plus Syndrome
- Metabolic disorders
- Vascular disorders
- Immune Mediated
PARKINSONISM PRESENTS ITSELF IN FOLLOWING DISEASES
NON INFECTIOUS DISEASES
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Dementia with Lewy Bodies
- Parkinson’s Disease Dementia
- Rapid Onset Dystonia Parkinsonism
- Autosomal Recessive Juvenile Parkinsonism
- X-linked Dystonia Parkinsonism
- Parkin Mutation (Hereditary Juvenile Dystonia)
- Corticobasal Degeneration
- Fronto-Temporal Dementia
- Gertsmenn Straussler Scheinker Syndrome
- Progressive Supra-neuclear Palsy
- Olivopontocerebellar Atrophy
- Multiple System Atrophy (Shy Drager Syndrome)
- Lytico Bodig Disease (ALS complex of Guam)
- Neuronal Ceroid Lipofusinosis
- Pantothenate-Kinase Associated Neurodegeneration
- Hutington’s Disease
- Wilson’s Disease
- Binswanger’s Disease
- Vascular Dementia
- Paraneoplastic Syndrome
- Orthostatic Tremor
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
- Creutzfeldt Jakob Disease
- Encephalitis Lethargica
HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINES FOR PARKINSONISM
While treating Parkinsonism its of utmost importance to first diagnose the underlying cause and treat the cause first.
Certain Homeopathic medicines that can be administered based on Symptomatic presentation and pathological background examples given are theraputic based, relate patients symptoms to that of medicine before selecting.
- TERRENTULA HISPANICA – Well indicated in patients with neurodegenerative disorders. Orthostatic Tremors.
- GELSEMIUM SEMPERVIRENS – due to psychosomatic reasons. Orthostatic tremors.
- RUTA GRAVEOLENS – due to neoplasms in Central nervous system.
- LYSINUM/HYDROPHOBINUM/LAC CANNUM – Typically suits in cases with dementia of Lytico-Bodig disease
- BELLADONNA – Typically suits well in cases due to inflamatory or congestive or infective origin like that in Creutzfeldt-Jacob’s disease and Encephailitis Lethargica.
- ARNICA MONTANA – Typically Suits well in cases due to Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy.
- BAPTISIA TINCTORIA – accompanying delirium typically of infective origin
- NUX VOMICA – Typically suits well in cases due to bad effects of drugs and toxins.
- CROTALUS HORRIDUS
- ACONITUM NEPALLUS
- AGARICUS MUSCARIOUS
- DIGITALIS PURPUREA